Phlogiston

Friday, June 23, 2006

Review of a Book with No Words

We get a lot of advance reader copies of various genre fiction books here at work. Some awful, some terrible, and some weird and interesting. Like
Super #1 Robot, a photographic collection of Japanese robot toys made in the late 70s and early 80s. When I saw it earlier today, I of course, had to scoop it up.

To be honest, there are some words in this book beyond the captions for the photos. There's like a 20-some page introduction and an after word, but who cares about all that? Let's get to the robots!

Of course, there are over a dozen Voltron look-alikes within these pages, but there are also a lot of interesting entries. Like one robot that looks like a giant golden meat tenderizer. Something that appears to be a Magic 8-ball wearing a sun hat. And an angry water heater with a Z painted on the front. Plus the obvious Mecha-Godzilla and Astroboy types.

So there you have it, all kinds of contraptions made from metal, plastic, and in one case what I'm sure is some form of gummi product. Sure, it's not going to tax your brain (especially if you don't read the text), but it'll fire up your imagination. The perfect book for someone who wants to remember these toy robots but is way too cool to go out and buy them.

My Rating: 4 1/2 Ultramans

2 Comments:

  • Did you take Super #1 Robot for real? I love that book. I just didn't have the wherewithal to steal it from Trevor.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 AM  

  • Yes, yes I did. And Trevor didn't even see me. I am a ninja. A ninja who likes to look at pictures of robots. But don't get me started on pirates. Or monkeys, the hairy banana-eating bastards.

    By Blogger Keeley, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home