Phlogiston

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Remembering Memories of Memorial Day

Yesterday was Memorial Day, so I took the day off from blogging to do some barbecue and sunshine-related activities. But that doesn't mean I wasn't thinking about you, dear audience. I combed through some old photo albums of holidays past to bring you the gems of Memorial Days past.

Sadly, I don't have a scanner, so I'm going to have to describe these pictures to you.

May 25, 1981: My six-year-old self is apparently at some kind of picnic. I am enjoying a slice of watermelon. Look at the huge smile on my sticky face!

May 28, 1984: Ah, yes. I remember this summer as my "dinosaur T-shirt" phase. Here I am in a "King of the Dinos" shirt emblazoned with a T. Rex. A couple of watermelon seeds are stuck to my chin.

May 28, 1990: Another picnic. I must have gotten a really bad sunburn this year, because my skin is as red as a watermelon! The inside part, of course.

May 25, 1992: At the beach this time. Being 17, I tried to stay as far from my parents and hang out with my friends, but my mom managed to snap this photo of a group of us playing volleyball. No watermelon in sight. I think it was a bad year for the fruit.

May 29, 2000: The first Memorial Day barbecue I hosted on my own at my own place. People seem a little upset in this photo. Oh, right. I think everyone was a little disappointed in the grilled watermelon burgers. Yeah, they could have been a little juicier.

May 29, 2006: I took a trip that long weekend to melon country. This one is of me in a wacky watermelon-shaped hat.

Hope you had a Happy Watermelon Day this year!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home