Phlogiston

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Comparing Apples to Oranges

A scientific breakthrough! As many of you know, I have an old gas chromatograph in my cellar, and every once in a while I like to run random samples through it for fun. Last week, I got this idea to see how different apples and oragnes really were to prove whether or not the old adage is true. Like TV's MythBusters, I'm a professional, so don't try this at home!

Case One: McIntosh Apples v. Navel Oranges
I thought I'd start simple. Boy, was I surprised! It turns out that these two fruits are indeed quite similar, as shown in the handy graph below.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wow! Scientific!

Case Two: Rome Apples v. Blood Oranges
Now these two types are slightly more different, but well within the statistical means of comparison, I think.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Case Three: Horse Apples v. Valencia Oranges
There's quite a difference shown here, mainly because (and I realized this a little too late) horse apples are, in fact, nuggets of horse dung.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I stopped the experiment at this point because I was majorly grossed out. But I think the results speak for themselves!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home